01/03/2012

Monkees' Davy Jones Dies

Davy Jones of The Monkees died yesterday evening due to an apparent heart attack. He was 66 years old.


The singer, who had been on a solo tour this month, complained of chest pains and was admitted to a hospital last evening in Stuart, Florida.


Born in Manchester, England, Jones began his career acting as a child star. In 1965 he was cast in The Monkees - a comedy show and band inspired by the success of The Beatles. The Monkees were an instant hit, racking up ratings and scoring huge singles with Last Train To Clarksville, I'm A Believer, Stepping Stone amd Pleasant Valley Sunday. Jones played tambourine in the band and was the lead vocalist on their classic hits such as Daydream Believer and I Wanna Be Free. What many people may not know, is that at the peak of their popularity in 1967, The Monkees sold more albums that The Beatles.


The Monkees' music was written by some of the best songwriters of the day, including Carole King and Neil Diamond. As the band's popularity grew, they were insistant on playing their own music and instruments, but although their later work attracted a widespread cult audience over the years, their mainstream success eventually fizzled out, and the group split up in 1971.


Former Monkees band member, Mike Nesmith, posted a tribute to Jones on his Facebook page, reading:


"I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane. David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us. I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels."