12/02/2012

Whitney Houston: A Legend Lost

Whitney Houston is inarguably one of the of the biggest female pop stars of all time. Her accomplishments as a hitmaker are extraordinary..


just to scratch the surface, she became the first artist ever to have seven consecutive singles hit number one, and her 1993 Dolly Parton cover, I Will Always Love You became nothing less than the biggest hit single in history.


Whitney was born in Newark, NJ, on August 9, 1963 to gospel/R&B singer, Cissy Houston, with fellow singer, Dionee Warick her cousin. However, in a tragic turn of events, Whitney's life was cut short late last night when she was found dead in the hotel room she had been staying in the run up to the Grammy Awards. The cause of her death is still uncertain, but what we do know, is that although a troubled women in her later life, the world has lost an icon and legend.


I remember listening to I Will Always Love You, as a young girl with my Father, it's a very strong memory for me and is always a reminder of just how powerful music can be. Let's not forget the countless times I've danced along to some of the classic disco hits like I Wanna Dance With Somebody and How Will I Know, in numerous clubs!


But my memories aside. Whitney Houston has influenced millions around the world and that's something we should celebrate. Many will remember the pop star for her most recent questionable performances or her somewhat erratic personal life, but let's remember one thing; her voice. Houston's vocal range, talent and versatility as a singer is what catapulted her to instant superstardom in the Eighties, her power and control building the foundation of RnB ballads for generations to come.